Unable to allocate colormap entries after upgrade

Gabor Hetyei ghetyei@uncc.edu
Wed Feb 4 22:14:00 GMT 2004

I had a perfectly working Cygwin/Xfree installation on a Windows 2000
desktop machine in my office with an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64 Pro
video card. Unfortunately after an "involuntary upgrade" from Xfree 4.2 to
4.3 (just learned the hard way to choose "Keep" when running the cygwin setup
to install just a few new programs) my Xfree became tremendously slower.
(4.3 takes minutes to load vs. seconds of 4.2). Not finding an easy fix,
I uninstalled Cygwin completely, and (using a year-old backup CD of the
install files) reinstalled Xfree 4.2. This is when I noticed that my xterm
windows now come up black/and white, and Xfree is now unable to allocate
any colormap entry (for black, white, red etc.)

I also have a laptop, where I do not have and never had any such problems,
although I always "take home" the files downloaded from my desktop
machine to install Cygwin programs on it. When I compare the Xwin.log
from my laptop with the Xwinrl.log on my desktop, I see no essential
difference. The file C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\rgb.txt
is there. If I remove it then I see a complaint about it missing, and
Xfree 4.2 comes up in a window with grey background. When I put it back,
then the background of the Xfree 4.2 window is green, but then any
program window in it  is able to produce only black and white colors (with
the colormap warnings, when appropriate).

The only other change besides the upgrade that I undid that may be
relevant is that I downloaded the latest NVIDIA (windows) driver for the
card. Could it be that it "consumes" more colors than before.

Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. I am including a copy
of my latest XWinrl.log below. (Why the rl by the way? I am not logging in
remotely, or not on purpose at least.)

-----

OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 800 h 600
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per
pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 800 h: 600
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 800 h: 600
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 572 800
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 572 800
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 794 h 547 r 794 l 0 b 547
t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Creating primary surface
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Created primary surface
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Attached clipper to primary surface
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 1588
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow pitch: 1588
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow stride: 794
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16
bpp 16
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
InitOutput - Returning.
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options
= "(null)"
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing
from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
removing from list!
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 800 h: 600
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 794 h: 547
[...]
winWindowProc - WM_*KEYDOWN - Closekey hit, quitting

-----

Gabor Hetyei

Mathematics Department			Phone: (704) 687-2543
UNC Charlotte				Fax:   (704) 687-6415
Charlotte NC 28223-0001			E-mail: ghetyei@uncc.edu
Office: 335F				Webpage: www.math.uncc.edu/~ghetyei