Critical: Unable to type in the password in ssh in order to start X

Constantine cnst@rbcmail.ru
Tue Feb 24 04:27:00 GMT 2004

Hi!

I have the latest stable versions of cygwin and cygwin/X. I usually
update them every month or so. After I automatically updated it last
time to the latest cygwin release, I started to have problems with my
X-configuration. I have the following in my ~/.xinitrc file:

xhost + 192.168.0.18
ssh myusername@192.168.0.18 "setenv DISPLAY 192.168.0.1:0; startkde"

Before the bug, I was able to run xinit, switch to console again, type
the password and switch to the display again. Now, when I am trying to
type the password, I can see all the characters that I am typing, and
after pressing <enter>, I am given the second prompt for the password
with the same problems. And so on. Therefore, I cannot use XFree86
anymore, because I am unable to authorise. :-(

P.S. Please, do not judge my poor configuration from the security
standpoint, as I am on my own network and I do not have any external
IP-addresses on my internal network.

Cheers,
Constantine.