MultiWindow Mode: stty speed = 0 on xterm cause rlogin to fail

Danilo Turina danilo.turina@alcatel.it
Wed Feb 25 11:47:00 GMT 2004

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Danilo Turina wrote:
>

>>In effect opening an xterm within rootless mode I can see from stty that
>>the terminal speed is 38400, while opening the same terminal from
>>multiwindow mode I see that the speed is 0 (the same does not happens
>>for rxvt for which stty always reports 38400).
>

> I've started bash the following ways:
>
> cmd.exe  : speed 38400
>   -> xterm.exe : speed 38400
>     -> xterm.exe : speed 38400
> XWin.exe (multiwindow)
>   -> xterm.exe : speed 0
> XWin.exe (no multiwindow)
>   -> xterm.exe : speed 0
>     -> xterm.exe : speed 0
> XWin.exe (build with console window)
>   -> xterm.exe : speed 0
>
> It seems the newly started xterm inherits the speed settings from the starting
> program.

Yes, it's true.
On the contrary replace xterm with rxvt all works properly.
Another example of that is the following:

XWin.exe (multiwindow)
   -> xterm.exe : speed 0
     -> rxvt.exe : speed 38400
       -> xterm.exe : speed 38400