Multi-window problems on remote clients

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sat Feb 28 23:26:00 GMT 2004

Takuma Murakami wrote:
>>C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow -nowinkill -once -broadcast
>

> I don't think -multiwindow with XDMCP is supported.

Takuma is right.  The Multi-Window Window Manager is, as the name
implies, a window manager; logging into a remote machine via Xdmcp
(using the -broadcast, -query, or -indirect command-line parameters)
causes the remote machine to start a window manager.  You can only have
one window manager at a time for a given display and screen.

In addition, you are seeing strange behavior when using -clipboard
because -clipboard enables some code that allows clients on your local X
machine to connect to the X Server when you are using Xdmcp.  Oddly
enough, Xdmcp usually disables access for clients local to the X Server
and it requires that all X clients know a certain "magic cookie" in
order to be able to connect.  The clipboard code adds an internal "magic
cookie" that allows the clipboard client to connect; it looks like a
side-effect of this is that the window manager is also able to connect
sometimes.

You bring up another interesting point that I have not specifically
tested: whether -clipboard works with -broadcast.  I know that the
clipboard manager generally works with -query for Xdmcp, but there is a
slight possibility that it would not work with -broadcast.  However, I
suspect that your problems with the clipboard support will go away when
you remove the -multiwindow parameter.

I think I will add some checks to the server now that cause the
-multiwindow flag to be overridden if -query, -broadcast, or -indirect
is specified.