Cygwin/X NEdit package maintainership

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sat Jan 3 03:29:00 GMT 2004

Nathan Gray wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>> I didn't have to define BUILD_BROKEN_NEDIT, but I don't think that
>> check_lin_tif was being built in the default build for Cygwin, so the
>> version of LessTif is not being checked.  When I built it manually it
>> showed that 0.93.91 is an untested version, but not a version
>> explicitly known to be broken.
>

> Interesting.  That means a bug in our build system -- check_lin_tif
> should be built on all platforms that are likely to use LessTif.

I log my output from builds and I found nothing indicating that it was
built; it would be pretty hard to miss the large message that is
printed.  I also did a search for check_lin_tif.c in my build log and
came up with nothing.  In looking at the Makefiles, I didn't see
anywhere that the target that creates the check_lin_tif executable was
made a dependency of all.

> Scott did a good job of explaining our position on untested LessTif
> versions so I won't rehash that here, but I will reiterate that it would
> not be wise to distribute an NEdit built against such a LessTif without
> extensive testing (e.g. somebody using it for real work for a week or
> two).  If you do such testing and find that the version of LessTif
> you're using is good then let us know and we'll add it to the known-good
> list.

Well, there are likely already tons of people using the package... but I
would feel better if someone would confirm that they did not get any
crashes in a week of heavy use.  Any volunteers to test the NEdit
package on Cygwin/X that is installed via Cygwin's setup.exe?