XDMCP Problems - Possible fix, please try

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Jan 6 00:10:00 GMT 2004

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> The XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-30 release may fix some problems with not
> getting a login screen when using XDMCP.  See the change log for more
> information:
>
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/server/changelog.html
>
> Please try this new server and report on whether it allows you to get
> a login screen or not.
>
> Thanks for testing,

Sorry for the delay. We were having problems with our router and general
networking issues - not an nice environment to test things like remote X...

Well I tried that too but it didn't work. The symptoms are exactly the same.

For kicks I tried the following:

While on sonslinux I attempted to start another X server like so:

$ X -query sonslinux :1

This brought me to another console (that I could get to by doing
Alt-Ctrl-F8 whereas my previous console is at Alt-Ctrl-F7) and started X
but KDM did not attach to it. Monitoring I see:

/var/log/messages:

<nothing new>

/var/log/kdm.log

<nothing at all>

<stdout/stderr where I ran the above X -query ...>:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
Build Date: 11 September 2003
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.1.log", Time: Mon Jan  5 15:18:01 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
(EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
(EE) R128(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local,
removing from l
ist!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/kwintv,
removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing
from lis
t!
XDM: too many retransmissions

/var/log/XFree86.0.log:

<attached>

I retried this operation with the following command:

$ X -query sonssun :1

where sonssun is a Sun box running Solaris 7. A CDE session came up with
no problems!

Then I shut all this down again and cleared out the log files and did an
XWin -query sonslinux -from adefaria again:

/tmp/XWin.log (from my XP system):

<attached>

I'm stumped. I think we need to turn on some more debugging options and
try again. Let me know what to try.

<attached>

--
Mental Floss prevents Moral Decay.