Clipboard Status 2004/01/06

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Jan 7 07:38:00 GMT 2004

I have thoroughly reworked the clipboard startup and shutdown system
now.  I have been discussing my XDMCP problems with Keith Packard (he
wrote most of XDM and XDMCP); I have been learning a lot about how XDM
initializes itself and why our clipboard client was being killed at
various stages.

Each time that I prevent our clipboard client from being killed at one
stage, I expose another stage where it gets killed :)

I believe I am down to the final stage of our clipboard client getting
killed.  I have a design in mind to prevent this final kill, but I have
to get some sleep, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I can tell you that I now have a *much* more thorough understanding of
how Xlib, X Clients, XDM, XDMCP, and the X Server all work.  I no longer
have any doubts about which function needs to be called before another
function (e.g. XInitThreads, XSetIOErrorHandler, etc.).  I have seen and
fixed about a half dozen bugs in the clipboard handling code that each
could account for various crash reports that we have received for both
the clipboard code and the multi-window window manager code.  The
startup process for both systems left many race-condition holes that
would occasionally cause problems (thus the non-reproducible error
reports).  I have closed any such holes that I have found.

Once again... I ask that everyone be patient and wait for the next
release of the clipboard handling code.  I think it is going to impress
a lot of you.  :-)