How to print to printer on machine running X serve

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Jan 7 14:32:00 GMT 2004

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>>Something I've done in the past is print to a Postscript file on the
>>remote machine, convert it to PDF using ps2pdf, transfer it to the
>>local computer via FTP, and then use Adobe Acrobat Reader on the local
>>machine to view/print the result.
>

> Thanks!
>
> This is a bit elephant, but it requires no setup and it works.
>
> My previous via-pdf approach was to export a .pdf from OpenOffice, but
> for some reason Windows Adobe Acrobat Reader refused to load the .pdf
> file + it didn't work for e.g. Evolution.
>
> All we need now is a "xwinps2pdf" utility :-) Beats me how to go about
> this in a generic, no options, no setup way though.

You guys do know that we have ps2pdf under Cygwin, right?  Just install
the ghostscript-x11 and ghostscript-base packages.  That saves you the
conversion step through a shell on your *nix box and instead allows you
to do it on Cygwin.

Actually, I print to PS files in Windows all the time, then run them
through ps2pdf to get PDFs of web pages, receipts, Word docs, etc.
Works great if you know the little trick about telling the Win32 printer
driver to "Download as Soft Font" any TTF fonts... otherwise you get
funny little boxes where the PS font is missing a character definition
that the TTF font has.  :-)