Clipboard configuration

Sam Edge sam.edgeZZZ@lineone.net
Thu Jan 8 16:39:00 GMT 2004

Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in
<3FFD70AB.4080100@msu.edu>
in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:00:59 -0500:

> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> > A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)
> > Is there any reason not to make -clipboard default for XWin once the
> > current round of changes are out of the door?
> > In the past xwinclip crashed intermittantly and it clobbered the clipboard, so -clipboard
> > not being default made sense.
>
> I have already been thinking about it.
> I'll eventually make -clipboard the default and add a -noclipboard
> option to disable it.
> That is what we have typically done for all features that newly reach
> stabililty.

It could be argued that if the -query or -broadcast option is also
being used the default should remain -noclipboard.

Most (remote) display managers turn on X authentication and prevent
the internal clipboard client from connecting to its own Cygwin/X
server. This results in the client wasting its time doing it's
start-up retries. This isn't a huge waste - more a niggle.

If the inter-clipboard functionality is eventually re-coded into the
server end instead of being an X-client it will avoid the
authentication problem and the default can be changed to 'enabled' in
all cases.

Discuss?

--
Sam Edge