Problem connecting to Solaris 8 systems using Xwin

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jan 12 17:44:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Martin McNelis wrote:

>From the log:

(WW) Option "XkbVariant" requires an string value
(WW) Option "XkbOptions" requires an string value

This indicates that these entries in the configfile are not
written with quotation marks. eg

	Option "XkbVariant" = "nodeadkeys"

> > I get the following:
> > $ xwin -query snail -fp tcp/snail:7100
> > The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> > > Error:            Can't find file "pc/uk" for symbols include
> > >                   Exiting
> > >                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
> > Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> > The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> > > Error:            Can't find file "pc/uk" for symbols include
> > >                   Exiting
> > >                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
> > Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

Either this is a broken installation where some files in /etc/X11/xkb
are not properly installed or Solaris calls xkbcomp with wrong values.

Btw: The keyboard layout for the U.K. is called gb. I'm not sure
if uk means something else, but IÄve found no other definition in the
Cygwin/X distribution.

bye
	ago
--