geomview successfully compiled!!

B. Marchand marchand@purdue.edu
Thu Jan 15 23:34:00 GMT 2004

Thank you Brian!

Boy, these unupdated mirrors have been a real pain for me. I
re-installed the lesstif package, as you suggested, and that fixed it.
The problem is that when I first installed cygwin, I did so from a
mirror that did not have the most up to date packages
(ftp.csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/cygwin). Later, when I installed
some packages that were missing, they came from
ftp.mirrors.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin.com, which was also not up to date.
Someone recently suggested I try mirrors.kernel.org instead to update my
xfree86 packages but I never updated lesstif.

I'm not sure if the cygwin setup utility has an "Update" option where it
reads the version available on that mirror, compares it to the version
you have installed, and determines if you need an update or not. Anyway,
it claimed I didn't need it but I re-installed it anyhow.

Well, it works great now.

The installation instructions on
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~mfoehl/Geomview_under_Windows.html
work fine, even without the -lDtPrint option. The alternate xforms
library location
http://ftp.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/links/unix/desktop/xforms/NT/GnuWIN32/
seems to be acceptable as well.

To compile, and have the configure file detect the xforms library, the
full path to them must be specified and that option must appear before
the call to opengl or motif as follows

./configure -with-xforms=/usr/local/src/geomview-1.8.1/xforms/FORMS
-with-motif=/usr/X11R6 -with-opengl=/usr/X11R6

I think I'll put up a website with ALL the files necessary, including
the xforms library, for people to download in the future. I'll make sure
to add a note listing the package versions I had installed when I
compiled it.

Thanks again Brian.

--B.