Crash in xserv 4.3.0-40

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Fri Jan 16 05:27:00 GMT 2004

Howdy Harold, Christopher:

At 06:06 PM 1/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 06:02:24PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> >With that being said, I'll address the issue of symbol information:
> >1) If I include symbol information and there are no crashes, then people
> >will complain (don't argue with me, they *will* complain) about the size
> >of the download being X KB larger than it had to be.
>Newer versions of binutils allow you to split symbol information into a
>separate file which gdb understands.  I've been meaning to release a
>version of gdb and binutils which can do this for a while and will probably
>do this as soon as I'm out from under my current mountain of work.

Another option is to generate a link map file when you do the final
compile.  It's just a text file of 4KB or so and you can manually reference
the failing address from a stackdump into a routine name.  For my commercial
software I've found this is often enough to figure out what's wrong
without worrying about distributing symbol files or the extra size
associated with them.

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel