Initiating a remote X session

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Jan 21 15:41:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Steve Howie wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> We've just had a look at cygwin-xfree and are very impressed. However,
> we'd like to bundle it for our users so that we have a some pre-defined
> 'sessions' available e.g. connect to a Unix host, run SAS then have the
> output sent to an cygwin-xfree server. Unix commands are not the forte
> of most of our users.
>
> This is fine with a static IP address  - we would launch a program which
> does something like:

> So ideally we would like something similar to this in cygwin-xfree :
>
> rexec <host> -l <username> "setenv DISPLAY $MYIP:0; /opt/SAS82/sas"

First try:
MYIP=`hostname -i`  rexec <host> -l <username> "setenv DISPLAY $MYIP:0; /opt/SAS82/sas"

but hostname -i does not work on cygwin. But maybe the name of the host is
sufficient
MYIP=`hostname`  rexec <host> -l <username> "setenv DISPLAY $MYIP:0; /opt/SAS82/sas"

Or even better, Use ssh:

DISPLAY=localhost:0 ssh -X <host> -l <username> "/opt/SAS82/sas"

ssh will take care of setting the remote DISPLAY and all transferred
data is sent via the ssh tunnel.

bye
	ago
--