Notes on adding accelerated OpenGL support to Cygwin/X

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Jan 29 11:45:00 GMT 2004

I assume that a lot of users and potential users are interested in
accelerated OpenGL support.  Adding this isn't particularly hard, since
we simply pass off OpenGL calls to the Win32 OpenGL system and because
the Xdarwin (a.k.a. X on X, a.k.a. Apple) have already done a very
similar system for their platform.

I am interested in adding this support as well, but I think it would be
nice if some users and/or developers out there would help get this
started by creating some of the boilerplate files for me and ensuring
that these initial files compile correctly (although they will not do
anything and might not link correctly).

I have put together a one page set of notes on the files that we need to
adapt to our platform and the minor changes to the build system that we
need to make to get those files to build:

http://msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/CygwinX-Accelerated-OpenGL-Support-20040128.pdf
  (44 KiB)

These notes apply to the CYGWIN tag on the xorg repository that lives at
freedesktop.org.  See the XWin Server development page for information
on how to check out a tree:

http://x.cygwin.com/devel/server/

I encourage everyone to take a shot at this.  Most of the tasks marked
as "Boilerplate", "Trivial", and "Easy" could be done by someone with no
real knowledge of programming at all.  Now is your chance to jump in and
start building your knowledge of programming.