cygwin/x: x starts, but does nothing

?man ryanra2@netscape.net
Fri Jul 23 05:47:00 GMT 2004

I installed cygwin with all the packages. I made a batch file called "xwin.bat"
that runs xwin located in my home dir, so that I dont have to navigate to the
file every time.

Here is the content of "xwin.bat":

------------------------------

@echo off

chdir C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin

startxwin

------------------------------

Here is the cygwin shell log i took:

------------------------------

Ryan@EMACHINE ~

$ xwin

Welcome to the XWin X Server

Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project

Release: 6.7.0.0-12

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024

winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

XWin was started with the following command line:

xwin

winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1

(II) XF86Config is not supported

(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information

winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP

winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed

winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed

winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007

winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking

winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel

winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff

MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support

XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shar

ed memory support in the kernel

(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31

(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)

(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "4"

Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null

)"

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from li

st!

winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 637 453

winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

Ryan@EMACHINE ~

$

------------------------------

What happens is X starts, but does nothing. The mouse remains the "X" cursor,
and the background remains the black and white checker pattern. The only
thing I can do is close it from the Windows close button, and it confirms
exiting.

Since the only error I see that is not totally disregarded in the FAQ/User
manuals online is "Could not init font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!", I tried following the
instructions to reinstall the fonts in the FAQ. However, I still get this
error.

I navigated in windows explorer to the C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts
directory, but no \CIV directory exists. However, there are about 9 other
directories, some containing other fonts.

I want to know if this is the problem, or if I am doing something else wrong,
such as a missing command line parameter needed to do anything.
Thank you for your time.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.