Windows XP SP2 and Firewall

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Mar 2 15:26:00 GMT 2004

Stuart Adamson wrote:

>>I'll do some research on how to change the firewall settings from
>>a running program.
>>
>>Any comments and ideas?
>

> What happens when X crashes?  We *have* to restore the firewall in this
> case.  I *think* we can catch this case using SEH - but we can't compile
> using gcc then...

That was not my impression from reading information about XP SP2.

However, I don't think we are going to have to modify anything anyway,
since the default for the new firewall in SP2 is to allowing incoming
connections for a few seconds from the remote host after an outbound
connection has been made to it.  This should work just fine with our
outbound UDP connection that expects to get a return TCP connection for
Xdmcp.