Convenient script for starting an XFree86 xterm

ncokwqc02@sneakemail.com ncokwqc02@sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:42:00 GMT 2004

Thomas,

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't known about '/usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe'.

Now that I am aware of it, I'm not finding much documentation about it.
However, it does improve upon my offering by simplifying it.

As you suggested, I can eliminate the VBScript and replace the target in my
shortcut by

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe /XFree86xterm.bat

where '/XFree86xterm.bat' points to the DOS script I described earlier. The
new procedure is simpler and works just as well.

A minor drawback to both procedures is that one cannot take advantage of
Windows' facility to position new windows to avoid complete overlap. I
suppose it's being applied to the non-existent Command prompt window rather
than the 'xterm'.

john