reset/terminate problems; preventing multiple XWin instance

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Mar 4 15:05:00 GMT 2004

I actually have a fairly long laundry list of things that I am going to
be doing for this "open a unique display number problem".  One of them
is to add some options for specifying what to do if a particular display
cannot be opened (-display-or-die), others either let you specify
whether to assign display 5 (-auto-display-reuse) if 1-4 and 6-10 were
used or let you specify to assign display 11 (-auto-display-highest) in
that same case.

I guess the next thing we need then is a way to have the just-started
XWin process report the display number that it got.  I am thinking of
several ways to do this, but I haven't stumbled across the optimal
solution yet.

By the way, the way that I am a proposing to solve the display
assignment problem should fix cases where only Cygwin/X is being used
without race conditions (ideally), but I am going to allow for race
conditions when other X Servers are also being used on the same machine,
since there doesn't seem to be a uniform way to inform them that certain
displays are in use already, nor is there an atomic way to decide to use
a display number and lock it before any random process could also try to
open that port (at least not that I can think of).

All in all, we will be a heck of a lot better off than we are now.

Harold