OpenSSH configuration and many recent problems

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Mar 8 19:21:00 GMT 2004

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar  8 14:17, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 tulitanssi@luukku.com wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>just wanted you to know, that OpenSSH 3.8 configuration seems to be the reason
>>>for some of the recent problems presented here (e.g. AltGr not working, emacs crash).
>>>I've had those problems, too.
>>>Takuma Murakami suggested that I checked my OpenSSH configuration.
>>>When I added "ForwardX11Trusted yes" to /etc/ssh_config, all my problems went away.
>>
>>This is a very big problem. We get about 2 bugreports per day on the cygwin-xfree
>>mailing list. What about making the X11ForwardTrusted default on cygwin?
>

> I'm not actually keen to change another default setting of OpenSSH to an
> unsafe setting on Cygwin by default.  It's bad enough to set StrictModes
> to no by default and I already have stomach pain due to that.
>
> Especially I don't see why this setting should have another default on
> Cygwin as on any other OS.  There's no difference between Cygwin and
> other OSes which justifies this measure, right?

The only difference I can think of is that none of the other ssh
implementations (that I know of) on our platform, such as PuTTY and SSH
Secure Shell, enable this feature by default (or even have this feature).