XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-51 Performance Improvement

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Mar 9 21:08:00 GMT 2004

Takuma Murakami made an improvement to the multi-window code in the
4.3.0-51 release that restricts redraws to only the changed portions of
windows.  My earlier review of the original code made me believe that
the code was redrawing the entire contents of each window, regardless of
whether they had changed any or not, so I believe that Takuma's change
is correct.  In addition, I tested Takuma's change on a program that was
notorious for exhibiting bad performance in multi-window mode: xfig.
4.3.0-50 requires 7 seconds to start xfig and there is lots of screen
flashing during that startup process; other X Servers on Windows did not
have this problem.  4.3.0-51 takes 2 seconds to start xfig and there is
no longer any screen flashing.

Takuma's changes are great!  :)