XWin Architecture

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Mar 11 21:32:00 GMT 2004

Jeremy,

Jeremy Wilkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mostly curious - I fired off the email a bit quickly, I found some of
> the answers in the contributors guide later on, rtfm would've been a
> fair reply.

No problem... anything I can do to rope you in to working on some new
features?  :)

> I've been following the Y-windows mailing list where they talked about
> about an X compatibility layer, I was just considering how this would be
> done. I doubt I'd have the time to implement it. Since I use cygwin/x a
> lot seemed like a good template.

Interesting.

> After a bit of hunting I found the miext/rootless code, I've been
> struggling to understand the Objective C code using it though. I'd be
> curious to read Torrey's draft on how it works (obviously I wouldn't
> redistribute it).

Something isn't right here.  I haven't seen Objective C in the
miext/rootless code and it is compiled with gcc, not an Objective C
compiler... are you sure you are looking at a publically released
version of the code for all platforms?  I just took a look at
rootlessWindow.c and it reads like straight C to me.  There may be a few
files that are conditionally compiled for Mac OS/X that use Objective C,
in which case you could ignore those.