XFree86-base-4.3.0-3

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Mar 15 03:50:00 GMT 2004

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>

>>setup.hint:
>>
>>requires: cygwin cygipc expat termcap libncurses6 terminfo zlib
>>gettext libintl libintl1 ash pcre XFree86-bin XFree86-etc
>>XFree86-lib XFree86-fenc XFree86-fnts XFree86-startup-scripts
>>XFree86-xserv
>>
>>Shouldn't libncurses6 be replaced by libncurses7,

That much I believe and have changed in the new release of -bin.  I also
moved most of the requirements that were specific to -bin from -base to
-bin.  There probably remains some work to be done on this.

> libintl and
>>libintl1 removed, and libintl2 added ?
>
> gettext too ? It isn't needed at runtime.

I'll need a more thorough investigation before I touch these.  I wasn't
able to find anything using libintl* at all during my initial
investigation, but I would appreciate it if you would look into it
further and tell us what your method was (e.g. run cygpath against *.exe
and *.dll in the bin package and report which of the three are
referenced and which are not).  Same for gettext... I thought there was
a script or something that used it and people were complaining a long
time ago that it wasn't being installed automatically.  Search the
mailing list archives, it is probably one of the only messages
referencing gettext.

>>The same in "Runtime requirements"  and "Build requirements"
>>for XFree86-base-4.3.0.README.

Again, fixed libncurses, but leaving the others alone unless we change them.

You know, now that the source packages are available, feel free to send
me a comprehensive patch against the *.hint files that fixes this
properly.  It is difficult when someone asks me to make one change
because it often ends up requiring that I change several .hint files.
So, if you would like it to be improved, then put the time into doing
the job right and send me the diff... otherwise I am likely to keep
screwing it up as I make little changes.