setup.exe copies files to wrong place

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Mar 18 18:29:00 GMT 2004

tulitanssi@luukku.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> setup.exe seems to copy some files, e.g. font files, to a wrong drive.
>
> For example, if setup.exe is located (and run) at D:\cygwin_install directory and
> the target directory is C:\cygwin, then setup.exe copies lots of stuff
> to D:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts\...
>
> It would seem that somewhere the target root is set to \cygwin instead of C:\cygwin ?

No.

You have the 2nd problem described here:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof

Whether or not you admit it or know it, you at one time had Cygwin
installed to d:\cygwin, which left in place a pointer to
d:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts as the location where fonts should be
unpacked to.

Run 'mount', you may or may not notice that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
still points to the D drive (this was likely already corrected by the
postinstall step).

I'm seeing this so often that I am *almost* motivated enough to write a
patch to setup.exe to bitch when there are invalid mount points and
asking the user if they would like to remove those mount points before
unpacking packages.