X/Cygwin icon proposal

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Mar 18 19:30:00 GMT 2004

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> Nahor wrote:
>

>>ok, from your images, your system at least uses the non-alpha icons.
>>What color resolution is your monitor at?
>

> 16bit
>

>>>cygwin is unix. unix is simple (shell and stuff) and this is the opposite
>>>of the bubble-gum os WinXP with alpha channel.
>>
>>Uh? I don't get your point. I personally don't buy a machine just to run
>>unix. I use it to do other stuff (mostly compilation) that do make use
>>of CPU power.
>

> The host I use at work is win2k. We have bought our _first_ XP host last
> week. I don't know any company which choose XP over 2000. XP requries a
> lot more resources than 2000 and a computer magizine even stated that XP
> wastes about 200MHz. (2Ghz with XP is as fast as 1.8Ghz with win2k)
> The other host is linux since compiling with cygwin is so slow (the 500Mhz
> host compiles the xorg tree much faster than the 1.8Ghz windows/cygwin host)

Nonsense.  I have it running on an AMD K6-2 400 MHz chip with 384 MB RAM
and it is *fast* once it finishes booting (which it does more quickly
than even NT 4.0).  My wife uses this machine with OpenOffice.org and
Mozilla at work with no performance complaints.  Before I sent it over
to her job (she works at a university lab that didn't have enough money
to buy her a computer) I was using it as my *primary* development
machine at my job, running copies Visual Interdev 6.0, Visual Studio.NET
2002, compiling lots of source code, running a web server, etc.  All of
this with the eye candy settings left at the defaults.

So we are getting a little off topic here, but there is nothing about XP
that makes it inherently slow or that makes it require a super fast
machine to run.

>>So I have a recent machine, so I have XP. I assume that
>>quit a dew (most?) geeks using Cygwin/XFree would be in the same case.
>>But it's just a guess.
>

> This is a wild guess. gamers usally spend more on recent hardware than
> geeks. geeks by unusual, cool hardware. but speed is not as important as
> for gamers.

Heh heh...