X/Cygwin icon proposal

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Mar 19 05:49:00 GMT 2004

Michael,

Michael Bax wrote:

> Harold wrote:
>

>>>What I'm really surprised about here is that the ICON format lets you
>>>store a bunch of different formats in just one ICON resource (you can
>>>specify a 1-, 16- , 256-, or 16M color, all in 16x16, 32x32, and 48x48
>>>in one ICON).
>>>
>>>Does the one that everyone is so riled up about have the other,
>>>fallback formats included?
>>
>>Yup, that is what both of our icon files have.
>

> Hi Harold, that's actually not quite correct.  The existing CVS icon (that
> you kindly sent me the link to) has no monochrome content and has a
> messed-up 24x24 version.  It also has some rendering glitches.

I was referring to the notion of many formats in one file, not to the
specific list of what formats we had.  :)

That icon was not the latest version that Benny had created, as he
pointed out when he saw that link.  Follow the link below, then open the
X-boxed.ico file to see the most recent version (which I uploaded after
he nudged me):

http://pdx.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin/?cvsroot=xorg&only_with_tag=CYGWIN

> That's why I created Improved.ico, with careful rendering and anti-aliasing
> to preserve the form of the original vector logo -- I hope you can use it.

Yes, preserving the form is important.
> In summary:
>
> So far 2 developers and 3 users have contributed to this discussion.  It
> appears unanimous among the users that the alpha icon should not be the
> default.

Well, this is still an open technical question of "can it be done".  It
we *can* create an icon file that contains alpha icons that displays
fine on all platforms, then there is no reason to change the icon.  I
consider this an open issue as Jehan is still exploring options and no
one has found a definitive source stating that it cannot be done.  If we
*cannot* create such an icon file, then the choice about what we should
do for the default icon becomes much simpler and doesn't require so much
discussion.

So, lets hold off on dicussing this more until some one can prove that
we can or cannot create an icon with alpha formats that displays fine on
all versions of Windows.