X/Cygwin icon proposal

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sat Mar 20 00:12:00 GMT 2004

Phil Betts wrote:

> Hi Harold,
>
> First off, as this is my first submission to the list, I'd like to
> extend my thanks
> to you and all of the other contributors to Cygwin/X.

Glad you like it.

>>Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>>1) A Japanese user has reported that the new icon was garbled on his
>>Windows NT (I believe) system.  This is an isolated case so far and I
>>think it is due to something with that particular system and is not
>>something that we should worry about unless it starts getting reported
>
> more.
>
> This is a pretty mature list, followed by the sort of people who can
> resist the
> urge to send in "me too" messages.  I suspect that there are others like
> me who
> saw the original fault report and thought "OK, it's been logged already,
> I'll await
> the results".  Therefore, please don't discount solitary fault reports.

I have to discount them... I can't think of everything that gets
reported once as a bonifed problem.  You are right, the list is mature,
but people should know that *at least one other person* should speak up
to verify that they also have the same problem as another is reporting.
  This is essential and I am pretty amazed that no one did speak up in
this case, until now.

  > FWIW, here are my observations on the discussion so far:
>
> a) It makes no sense to inflict a random splodge on users of older OSes,
> just
> because a newer OS is able to display a prettier version of the current
> icon.

As I have said before, this is a technical question getting lots of
personal and emotional answers.  Let me make this perfectly clear for
everyone that is getting tied up on this issue:

1) Possible to have alpha icon that doesn't mess with older versions of
Windows --> Our default icon will have alpha versions.

2) Alpha icons always mess with older versions of windows --> Our
default icon will *not* have alpha versions.

There is no room for discussion on this, it is a simple technical
question of "is this possible or not".

Please, refrain from discussing personal opinions, speculation about
what version of Windows people are using, etc.  I have always aimed to
support the minimum subset of features available on all versions of
Windows since 95 and I am not going to deviate from that on the icon issue.

> b) As a user of an older OS, I would gladly live with an amorphous
> blotch if you
> could get the clipboard to work with emacs!

Umm... the clipboard should work with emacs... if it does not, then that
is a problem.  You are using the -clipboard parameter from a recent
version (xserv-4.3.0-59) and *not* using xwinclip, right?  This was
fixed ages ago if you are referring to the selection highlight disappearing.