Okay, how about an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ to 2100+ with Palomino core?

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Mar 22 07:41:00 GMT 2004

Hmm... no one seems to have the old Athlon 1.33 or 1.4's lying around.
Oddly enough, they are selling for more on eBay than used Athlon XP chips.

Which brings me to my next point: I just discovered that I could
actually use any of the AMD Athlon XP 1600+ to 2100+ chips that use the
Palomino core with my current Iwill KA266 motherboard (though specs
claim it only works with standard Athlon's up to 1.4 GHz).  Note that
the Thoroughbred cores are also available in speeds matching those of
the Palomino from 1600+ to 2100+, but the Thoroughbred cores will not
POST with this motherboard.

I checked eBay and pricewatch and found the  1600+ Palomino's are
selling used (eBay) for $15 and new (pricewatch) for $34 while the 2100+
Palomino are selling used for $40 and new for $50.

I am asking if anyone has one of these Palomino core chips that they
have retired to their parts graveyard.  If so, please allow me to take
it off of your hands if you do not intend to sell it.  This faster chip
should help cut my build time another 30% or so, which will allow me to
get more actual work done on Cygwin/X instead of waiting for compiles to
finish.  Be aware that this is the only wife-approved processor upgrade
that I can get at the moment, especially after the case and RAM that I
bought.  :)

Thanks in advance,

Harold

P.S. I will post publicly if someone arranges to send me a chip off
list, so you can know that I have not been offered a chip until you see
a followup in the mailing list.