W2K Terminal Services and multiple users running X

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Mar 24 23:09:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Harold,
>

>>... but the true difficulty in that is communicating the assigned
>>display number back to the shell from which XWin was launched so that X
>>programs can know the correct display to connect to.
>

> Why not have XWin write its display number to a file in /var/run, e.g.,
> /var/run/XWin.$$.display, where "$$" stands for the PID of the XWin
> process?  Since anyone who started XWin in the background from a shell
> script will have access to its PID via $!, the following idiom will work:
>
> 	XWin -multiwindow -emulate3buttons &
> 	XWINPID=$!
> 	DISPLAY_FILE=/var/run/XWin.$XWINPID.display
> 	while [ ! -e "$DISPLAY_FILE" ]; do sleep 1; done
> 	DISPLAY="`cat "$DISPLAY_FILE"`"
>
> Unfortunately, this approach won't work from .bat scripts (since they
> aren't aware of Cygwin process IDs).  It also won't work if "cygstart
> XWin" is used.  Any ideas on how to address it?
> 	Igor

Batch scripts was more of my concern... it would be possible to do from
a Cygwin shell like you describe (though I did not have all of the
tricks in mind).

Maybe the solution is to make the batch files just launch a shell script
to do the heavy lifting... sort of cheating but if it makes it possible
then it is acceptable to me.