scalable fonts

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Mar 26 07:59:00 GMT 2004

Lev,

Lev Bishop wrote:
> Scalable fonts don't seem to be working:
>
> $ xset fp= /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/
> $ xset fp rehash
> $ xfontsel
> X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
>   Serial number of failed request:  11
>
> This stuff did work once upon a time (I haven't been messing around with X
> fonts for a while - did I miss something?)

Do you have libXft-2.1.6-1?  Keith's ChangeLog entry was:

* xftfreetype.c: (_XftSetFace):
	Rework bitmap instance selection code to make it look prettier.
	Also, try both y_ppem/x_ppem *and* width/height to see
	which values will actually manage to load a font -- FreeType
	2.1.7 has broken bdf/pcf loaders.

Don't know if that is related or not, but I would hope that you have the
latest libXft, fontconfig, and freetype2 packages installed.  Let us know.