XWin 4.3.0-50 crashes with -multiwindow (ping Earle)

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Mar 26 16:13:00 GMT 2004

Earle,

Earle F. Philhower III wrote:

> Howdy Harold,
>
> At 12:00 AM 3/26/2004 -0500, Harold wrote:
>
>> Nope, not going to beat you to it.  This issue is what I was referring
>> to when I said that Earle should probably look at the PixmapBytePad
>> patch to make sure it was complete.  :)
>

> There's a saying I've learned from my verification engineers:  If you
> don't test it, it won't work!
>
> WinXP doesn't list 24bpp mode anymore, VICE doesn't compile under cygwin
> w/o work, and I'm not likely to shell out $$M to buy an Oracle DB. :)
> To top it off, freedesktop's CVS /tmp disk is out of space so CVS isn't
> working.  Ouch!
>
> I did some unit-testing of the undocumented BitsPerPixel() macro, and it
> seems to be what's needed.  Changing line 74 to
>  >  effXBPP = BitsPerPixel(pixmap->drawable.depth);
> will set it to 32 when given a 24-bpp drawable, giving a pixel stride of
> 4 bytes as desired.  It also doesn't break any of the 1-, 16-, or 32-bit
> icons that I was able to test (the return values of BPP() match expected
> there too), but I still have no 24-bpp icons to try.
>
> I'll try the commit again tomorrow morning, but if Fabrizio wants to
> beat up his local copy before then and report back it'd be appreciated!

Okay, sounds good to me.

>> Also, I think you mentioned that 1 bit pixmaps were messed up.  If
>> that is still the case, it is because the GDI DIB 1 bit bitmap has a
>> reversed byte order.  So, you'll have to swap the byte order for 1 bit
>> pixmaps when you convert them.  Give that a try and let me know if it
>> works... ping me as soon as you look into it cause I'm really
>> wondering if that will fix it.
>

> This was way back when I was first writing it, IIRC.  I don't think I've
> seen any 1-bit icon problems or heard of any (except for the complaint
> that xcalc's scaled icon was ugly) since.  If someone has a specific
> problem I'll look into it, but 1-bit is working 100% AFAIK...

Huh... okay.  I thought the xcalc icon problem was probably due to byte
ordering, but if it is just scaling then my suggestion obviously has
nothing to do with it.  I was going to suggest writing a super-duper
anti-aliasing icon scaler, but it would seem like a waste of effort for
1 bit icons.  There are so many other things that would not be a waste
of effort...