uxterm from xterm-185-3 and xfontsel crashing when running under cygserver support

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Mar 26 17:53:00 GMT 2004

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar 26 09:23, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>>Other than that, I'm not at all familar with that stuff.  How can I
>>>set up a minimal test system, so that it uses the bigfont extension
>>>and, especially, IPC?  Yesterday I just started cygserver, XWin and
>>>uxterm, and it doesn't use IPC by default, apparently.
>>
>>As long as you have cygserver started and CYGWIN=server defined in a way
>

> Ouch.  I started XWin from Windows Explorer, not thinking about
> setting CYGWIN=server at all.

Yeah, I thought I was going to get yelled at for mentioning that :)

> I've build my own xterm to have a debug version.  Unfortunately,
> it doesn't happen in xterm, but in cygX11-6.dll, in function
> XFreeFont(), right after shmctl(id, IPC_STAT, buf) has been called.
> I don't have a debug version of cygX11-6 and I'm also not exactly
> keen to debug it.  From what I can tell, the shmctl call works
> fine.  After that call, the XFreeFont() function accesses a piece
> of data, 512 bytes before the address of the buffer used as third
> argument to shmctl().  This address (buffer - 512) results in the
> SEGV.
>
> Could you have another look into this?  Actually I don't see anything
> wrong with the semctl call, it even checks the buffer pointer for
> being accessible.

I'll have to see if I can reproduce this and maybe make a debug compile
(takes about 2 hours, ugh).