About box

Jack Tanner ihok@hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 18:18:00 GMT 2004

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Okay, I did it myself.  We now have an About box that can be opened from
> the tray icon menu.  The About box contains four buttons that link to
> our website (x.cygwin.com), our User's Guide on the website, our FAQ on
> the website, and our ChangeLog that is installed locally with the
> XFree86-xserv package.

My apologies for saying this AFTER you did the work... The about box is
wrong. (Sorry, sorry, hold the flames.)

These links really belong in the Start menu (ideally under
Programs\Cygwin, but they'd also be acceptable under Programs\Cygwin/X).
This way, the links being URLs and links to .html files, they
automatically inherit the icon of the default web browser, making it
obvious what they point to.

What should really be in the about box is something like this:

[logo]	Cygwin/X X11R6 Server
	Copyright blah
	Licensed under GPL (use standard short FSF blurb here)
	Installed Packages (xserv 4.3.0-62, xterm 185-4, etc.)
	Visit us at http://x.cygwin.com. (Make URL blue, underlined, and a link
to the site).

The about box's window title should be "About Cygwin/X".

The tray menu's entry for the about box should be between "hide/show
root window" and "exit"; it should not be the bottom-most entry. The
entry itself should be called not "About..." but "About Cygwin/X".

Thanks for all your hard work, Harold et al! Here's hoping you get that
clipboard bug soon.

-JT