About box

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Mar 28 20:50:00 GMT 2004

Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

[snip]

> Harold,
>
> In many applications, the "Exit?" box is modal and AOT, which is fine,
> because it's not expected to stay on the screen for a long time.  Thus, it
> doesn't need a taskbar entry, IMO.

That is an alternative.

> The situation is different with the About box, since it depends on the
> intent of that box.  If it's intended for the users to just quickly see
> what the version is, it should probably also be modal and AOT with no
> taskbar entry.  However, if you intend people to copy information out of
> this box, or open other windows while this box is visible (especially now
> that there are links in it), that box should probably have a taskbar
> entry.  FWIW, Exceed's one is non-modal, not AOT, and has no taskbar
> entry, which is rather annoying.

I think the window may get left open, especially since it will be
annoying to use the links if it is AOT.  That seems to indicate that it
needs a taskbar entry to me.

> One more thing that Exceed does that the Cygwin/X server doesn't is detect
> when display resolution has changed, and offer to perform a server reset,
> like this (also see the attached PNG file):
[snip]
> IMO, this is not very useful when changing resolutions, and, despite the
> warning, I've noticed no problems with always refusing the server reset,
> but I suspect that with more serious changes (e.g., changes in color
> depth) it may be necessary.

Actually, we do have a dialog box that indicates when you have made a
dangerous display change (such as color depth going from 32 bpp to 256
color).

The only change I would make here would be to finally support RANDR to
allow resizing the root window to match the new screen resolution.