window manager running already

Dan Scott dan.scott@ca.ibm.com
Wed Mar 31 02:51:00 GMT 2004

Frank Schaefer wrote:
> Updating to 1.5.9-1 causes problem under WinXP and Win98 when trying to
> 'startx:'
>
> "window manager already running"
>
> while none is actually running. I was not able to figure out how
> 'X' comes to this conclusion.  Is there a file that can be deleted.
> The only other reason I could think of is that we started an
> 'X -broadcast' session. However, this too has been terminated.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Frank

I ran into this too. As I like my OpenBox full-screen window manager, I
found that:

startx -- :1

does the job very nicely. As another poster said, display 0 is now
claimed by Windows itself, so we need to start up a new X session on
display 1 (if you want your full-screen window manager for all of your X
apps).

Dan