Differnce between Xfree and Xorg

aroushdi aroushdi@hotmail.com
Wed May 12 15:53:00 GMT 2004

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004, aroushdi wrote:
>

>>I am a little bit confused I see here that we have moved to Xorg
>>distribution . I took a look at XFree.org and it seems they have
>>Binaries for Cygwin till 4.4 .
>

> These binaries are likely to be very outdated. We moved to X.org because
> it was easier for Cygwin/X developers to get cvs access there. XFree
> only allowed cvs access for a few people from the core team. We had
> to ask them to include the changes into their cvs. As a result the
> XFree cvs was always a few weeks up to some months behind the Cygwin/X
> development.
>
> The cygwin part from XFree may now be about 7 or 8 months old. Many
> improvements (eg for multiwindow mode or clipboard support) have not
> been included into the XFree cvs.
>

>>My question is Xfree going to be abandoned in favor of Xorg . What is
>>the relation between the 2 . The reason I am asking because since the
>>move to Xorg binaries i cannot have more than one Xsession at a time .
>

> You can start the first Xserver as usual
> XWin [options]
> and the second with
> XWin :1 [options]
> the third with
> XWin :2 [options]
> and so on
>
> This results in display names :0.0, :1.0, :2.0 ...
>
> bye
> 	ago
Alexander , thank u for ur quick reply I have used ur technique with and
without -from , -fp  , once and they all fail with unable to bind and no
message in the logfile . I have produced the same errors on winXP and
W2K . same thing . Old version 4.3 and 4.4 works fine no problem . is
there a way to get a more diagnosting log . I suspect that there is a
module locking some file which casses this error . The same error can be
reproduced on V 4.3 & 4.4 if use the same port :X we get the same
message faile to bind .

thks for ur help