XWin and the ICON on xterm window

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Wed May 19 17:20:00 GMT 2004

Howdy,

At 02:36 PM 5/19/2004 +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>On Wed, 19 May 2004, Angelo Graziosi (D. Zanello) wrote:
> > From version 6.7-5 I have noted that starting XWin with startxwin.bat
> > (.sh) produces an xterm window for which the X-Icon near its title looks
> > corrupted, as if there were a double reflection/refraction.
> > Also others X-Windows application (like emacs) presents this effect.
>With XWin-6.7-5 there was a change in the way how Icons are loaded to fix a
>problem with freeing icons twice.
>@Earle: What about using LoadIcon again and duplicating the handle with
>CopyIcon?
>      HICON tmp = LoadIcon (g_hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_XWIN));
>      g_hiconX = CopyIcon(tmp);

I'm not sure what's being to referred to in the original problem from Angelo,
but FWIW the change back a while was getting rid of all LoadIcon() calls and
instead using LoadImage()s instead (since we support DLL icons, .ico files,
etc.).  You need to use DestroyIcon() if the HANDLE is a from LoadIcon, and
just plain DestroyObject() if the HANDLE is from LoadImage or you get a
GDI leak.

Lev Bishop was talking about doing some changes to do a LoadImage() for both
large and small icon sizes, but I don't think anything became of it...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com