XWin listens on too many TCP ports and killing existing connections.

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 29 21:14:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 07:29:41PM +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> >Caphe Noir wrote:
> >>Looks like the "-multiwindow" option is the one causing the listening
> >>ports.
> >>
> >>Something interesting, when running without the "multiwindow" option.
> >>I tried to run sawfish (window manager), after which, sawfish is the
> >>one that spawns the listening sockets every second just like XWin did.
> >
> >What happens if you start no windowmanager at all, just on xterm.  Does
> >it spawn new connections too?
>
> This isn't just the standard complaint that's due to cygwin's select
> implementation opening a dummy port every time it's called is it?

Maybe.

Caphe,
I've created a small testprogram which calls select with a timeout of
1 second. Get it from http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/xfree/select.tar.gz
unpack and run it:
./select.exe www.google.com 80

This will print lines with "timeout". Do you get a new connection with
every timeout message?

bye
    ago
NP: Pulcher Femina - Dark Clouds