Files in /tmp/.X11-unix not getting cleaned up..

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Nov 4 19:24:00 GMT 2004

David Suarez wrote:

> Thanks Alexander.  I've done the below and it is working great now.  I
> ran into the following questions/issues while attempting the below:
>
> 1.  When using "cygpath -m ..."  the home directories we use were
> returning split over multiple lines sometimes (C:/
> 	Documents and Settings/...).  Not for everyone.  Are there any
> known issues with this?  The mount command worked fine and you could see
> the mount installed using the "mount" command (also split over multiple
> lines) however trying to "cd /tmp" resulted in an error.  To avoid the
> multi-lines, I created a windows environment variable with the location
> and used that instead when setting the mount.  Now that it's on one-line
> everything works great.

Hm. I think you'll have to quote the strings
winpath=`cygpath -m "$HOME/tmp"`
mount -buf "$winpath" /tmp

> 2.  Seems like mapping a /tmp as a user-mount is a work-around.  Any
> idea why the files don't get cleaned up in general?

On unix they are cleaned up on start. That's why the xserver is installed
with suid root on some systems. This does not work on cygwin.

> Are there any known
> issues with this approach?  Is there a resource that would be able to
> fix the implementation to ensure the files are deleted?  The one concern
> I have is I don't know if there are any applications out there that
> would rely on a shared /tmp directory.  Since in regular unix /tmp is
> shared, I can see how a program may rely on that causing a problem in
> our case here now that /tmp is mapped individually by user.

you will not be able to have user A start the xserver and user B connect
to that xserver (at least not via unix sockets)

> For now,
> this isn't a problem since we're using TS to run apps against the unix
> boxes but I wonder if this limits our ability to expand cygwin usage in
> the future as a stand-alone environment not linked to the unix boxes.

you can disable the unix sockets at all.

XWin -nolisten local

You will not be able to connect to :0.0 but 127.0.0.1:0.0 will work.

bye
        ago
NP: L'Âme Immortelle - Crimson Skies
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723