Why Xming.exe?

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Thu Nov 11 16:45:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 06:04:45PM +0200, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Sorry.  This message obviously slipped out before I was done with it.
>>>I blame my spastic index finger.  It likes to press the "y" key.
>>>
>>>In any event, what I was going to say above was that "In any event"
>>>it is certainly possible to craft a Cygwin/X installation which only
>>>installs a minimal number of packages.  No one has stepped forward
>>>to do this.
>>>
>>>Many of the observations made here are fixable just by having someone
>>>step forward to do the work in Cygwin.  If no one is willing to do that,
>>>that's fine.  You can do related work elsewhere but touting MinGW
>>>programs as a solution to Cygwin problems doesn't work.
>>>

>>OK thats fine, just a minor point: there is one Cygwin problem that
>>this solves, which is that people keep on requesting this kind of thing
>>on the cygwin-xfree mailing list :-)
>>

>Yes, and people keep requesting that Cygwin shouldn't be GPLed because
>it is inconvenient for them.  People ask for "su" to work correctly.
>People occasionally want to discuss Xceed here, too.
>
>This isn't a "ill-informed minority gets to decide" mailing list.

Fine, but at least we can have arguments about it :-)

>>Also its constructed from the same source code as cygwin/X so its
>>arguably the same thing.
>>

>Is anyone here *at all* familiar with MinGW?  Apparently few of you are
>or you wouldn't be making arguments like this.  Much of MinGW is based
>on the same source code as what Cygwin uses.

I use MinGW the whole time, yes, I know what it is.

>Using this logic, since Cygwin/X is based on the same source code that
>runs on many different platforms, apparently we should just shut this
>mailing list down and move everyone over to the main Xorg mailing lists.

OK fine :-)

>>But anyway we'll happy carry on discussion on a different list
>>

>But not before trying to get off a few more shots, eh?

Yes, you see I've managed to generate an extra 3 useless emails!
And without your reply I wouldn't have managed to generate this one too ...
You could actually compile Cygwin/X using cygwin GCC with the -mnocygwin
option and that apparently would be off topic too. So I won't :-)

Don't mean to hassle you so lets leave it at that

David