1,440 symbolic links

Dick Repasky rrepasky@lack.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Nov 17 15:10:00 GMT 2004

The tree /etc/X11/xserver contains 720 symbolic links. The vast majority
of of them are locale specific and point to the directory
/etc/X11/xserver/C.  The only thing in /etc/X11/xserver/C is a tree called
print.

The tree /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver seems to be identical to
/etc/X11/xserver.

My question is: can I get rid of all those symbolic links?  The reason
that I ask is that I'm using Fergus' instructions for building a CD from
which cygwin can be run
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html).  Because ISO-9660
file system does not support symbolic links, the technique for handling
them is to create copies of everything that is symbolically linked.  For
/etc/X11/xserver that means about 998 MB of disk on an ntfs file system
with a respectable blocking factor. /usr/X11R6/lib/xserver also takes up
that much space.  My hope is that X has a respectable default, something
like if localization file can't be read, use /etc/X11/xserver/C (or
/usr/X11R6/lib/xserver/C). Or, maybe /etc/X11/xserver/C/print really is
for printing (the tree seems to contain printer specs), and if I don't
want to print, I can get rid of it all.

I've tried poking around at X.org, but can't seem to find documenation
tha's appropriate.  I'd be grateful for any of the following:

   - simple answer such as "delete with impunity - it doesn't matter"
   - point me to appropriate documentation
   - point me to appropriate sections of the source code.

Thanks,

Dick

Dick Repasky
Bioinformatics Support