Problem with XWIN

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Nov 19 10:53:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 Massimiliano_Ziccardi@intesa.it wrote:

> Hi,
>      I got your e-mail through xwin --help
>
> Sorry to bother you, but I'd like to make you know this problem I encounter
> with xwin 6.8.1.0-5.
>
> I launch xwin with the following command line:
>
> xwin -fp tcp/193.42.232.134:7100 -xkblayout it -query 193.42.232.134
>
> It connect successfully.
> I need to specify to font provider 'couse I need to launch an application
> that uses fonts installed on the server.
>
> The problem is that *xwin hangs when my application starts accessing the
> font provider* (My application is rational rose 2003 for linux)

There are other tools for testing the fontserver.

fslsfonts -s tcp/193.42.232.134:7100 will list the available fonts
fstobdf  -s tcp/193.42.232.134:7100 -fn <fontname> will output the font
     as bdf font description

Do these applications work as expected?

Have you tried copying the fonts to the local machine. Does it work then?

Some fonts are large and take some time for processing. Maybe the fontserver
is still busy.

> The problem did not occurr with older versions (I can't say the version,
> 'couse xwin --help silently exits).

It prints the output to /tmp/XWin.log

> How can I fix this problem? Is it a bug? Do you know any workaround (it
> would be ok for me to download an older version, but how can I do it?) ?

There is at lease xorg-x11-xwin-6.7.0 available from cygwin setup. Click
on the version number until it changes to 6.7.0

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de