Newbie looking for /usr/lib/libX11.a

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Mon Nov 22 01:17:00 GMT 2004

Jim McCarthy wrote:

> Hello --
>
> I'm trying to build some PC-Linux software under Cygwin/X, and the build script
> complains that it can't find /usr/lib/libX11.a   ... nor have I been successful
> in locating this file manually.
>
> Closest match I've found so far is /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dll.a  ... is this the
> Cygwin/X equivalent of libX11.a ?

libX11.dll.a is the import library, libX11.a would be the the static
archive but there is no static archive available.  Just link against X11
as usual:
gcc -o xprog xprog.o -L/usr/lib/X11R6 -lX11

If the configuration tries to find libX11.a it needs to be fixed to
either look for libX11.dll.a or to try to link a test program and don't
look if there is a library file at all.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=