can't paste from Windows to X clients

Jay Smith jay@JaySmith.com
Mon Nov 29 03:56:00 GMT 2004

We were having a similar problem with Cygwin/xfree on Windows 95 with Linux
running in Xwindows supplied via xfree/cygwin.

The problem had several aspects.

- When we "up" graded Cygwin at one point (can't remember which) things
stopped working so we fell back.

- When we "up" graded our Red Hat 8 from Gnome to KDE, the cut/paste
stopped working.  It was dead for a while until a KDE upgrade came along
that included an upgrade to a package that caused things to work ...
sometimes.  So there was a KDE problem -- but I don't recall what package
it was (I think it had a Q in it).  However, we are current on KDE and
things are working ... sometimes.

The final solution and to fix it so it works almost all the time was that:

--- We stopped using -clipboard.  Instead we run the standalone xwinclip
after the cygwin was started.

--- When using the xwinclip, it would either fail quickly or fail to start
at all or fail to restart if we used the windows "start" command.  Instead
we simply run xwinclip.exe (without the "start" command) about 20 seconds
after the cygwin is started.  It is best to wait until the linux desktop is
up and settled in.

--- With that method, xwinclip will start and stay started about 80% of the
time.  However, sometimes it won't start/restart or it will die during the
day.  Attempts to restart it at that point often do not work immediately.
The solution to that is to go into a simple windows program like Notepad,
highlight some plain text and do ctrl-c.  Then try restarting xwinclip.exe
-- it should work. Somehow it gets something in its craw that it does not
know what to do with and it dies.

I know that some of my problems are probably because we are still using
Win95 for desktops.  (We are holding out until linux gets good enough on
the "corporate desktop" that we can switch to all-linux; soon I hope if the
linux-heads would realize that they need to get serious about linux in the
corporate environment before Joe Employee can be productive with.)

I also know that since I am not using the latest and greatest (?) Cygwin
stuff, I can't whine about things not working.  However, I find the Cygwin
upgrade process so darn obnoxious and time consuming with multiple download
sites which may or may not work at any given moment and then you have to
start over, blah, blah, blah.  I would be willing to PAY for a STABLE
Cygwin upgrade/download method so that I did not have to play sysadmin to
get the latest versions. (Someday hopefully the Cygwin folks will realize
that not everybody likes to twiddle bits and that some people have to work
at their jobs to make money instead of trying to figure out how to get
stuff downloaded.)

Jay