different mouse behavior between rootless and multiwindow

Remfrey, Eric Eric.Remfrey@quadtechworld.com
Fri Oct 1 15:08:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am working on getting a native Solaris app to run on Windows using Cygwin.  Currently, we use Exceed to do this, so if I can get this working properly, I'm sure I could convince our department head to send a donation your way.  I have had success with running it rootless, but am having some trouble getting the mouse to behave properly using the multiwindow switch.

In this CAD application, the screen is divided in to two parts; the main part is where the drawing is displayed, and the second part is a toolbar off to the right.

How it should work:
 When you click and hold the right mouse button in, a new mouse cursor appears on the toolbar.  The original cursor stays where it was before you right-click.  You cannot move the new cursor outside of the toolbar region.  The purpose of this is so that an engineer can change tools without moving the original mouse pointer.  Once you let go of the right mouse button, you regain control of the original cursor exactly where you left it.

What is happening:
I right click I get the new cursor, but it appears directly over the original cursor rather than over the toolbar, and I can move it freely anywhere inside the window.  When I let go of the right mouse button, the old pointer moves to where my mouse is before I regain control of it.

Again, using the rootless switch everything works perfectly, but we would really prefer to run it with the Windows window manager.  Turning the numlock key on or off does not appear to have an impact on this behavior.

I know this is a long shot, but any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric