cygwin/x symantec antivirus conflict

Jack Tanner ihok@hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:34:00 GMT 2004

Dick Repasky wrote:
> I, too, experience the problem, and the problem seems to depend on
> hardware.

Thank you for letting me know that I'm not totally nuts.

In addition to the keyboard delay, I too get slow rendering for
X-forwarded apps.

I can't imagine that this problem is due to the hardware. I'm
experiencing it on a P4 2.4Ghz w/ 1GB RAM and a 100Mbit wired
connection. Conversely, I've never encountered the problem on other,
slower machines, over slower network connections w/ higher latency, all
connecting to the same remote box.

It's gotta be something else. For what it's worth, I'm attaching the
output of ps -alW. I'm running WinXP SP2, and the problem used to happen
under SP1 as well. If anyone sees anything that might be interacting
with the network in an evil way, please tell me.

Dick, what versions of Symantec Antivirus and scan enginge are you
running? Do you get the delay if you're typing into a local shell? Do
you get the delay if you're typing into a remote ssh-connected shell,
but running under a local rxvt binary instead of xterm?