Cygwin/X and loggin on remote server

Jani Tiainen redetin@luukku.com
Thu Oct 21 12:55:00 GMT 2004

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Jani Tiainen wrote:
>

>>I've used cygwin/x to use remote wm and tools for a long time, and I use
>>connection via SSH tunnel since connection between machines are not secured.
>>
>>Now I would like to provide more generic way to login on remote machine,
>>I can do this with startxwin.bat but I want to close initial _local_
>>xterm used to get login & password prompt after it has fired up
>>session... How can be this done...?
>

> start xterm like this:
> xterm -e "ssh -f -Y remotehost .xsession && exit"
>
> or (simulating xdm login)
> xterm -e "ssh -f -Y remotehost /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome && exit"
>
> instead of "gnome" you can use kde, kde2 or whatever window managers
> are configured on the system.
>
> If you omit the "&& exit" the xterm will stay

wow, my bug was that I omited "-f" from ssh switches and "&& exit", I
tried & (single) and it always failed with error... =)

Now it works. Thank you very much, now I can use my desktop as single
click X-terminal.

I also tried to run XDM but always got "only root would run" message...

--

Jani Tiainen