Mac OS/X, Virtual PC 6, Oracle, and Cygwin/X - a tale

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:19:00 GMT 2004

I read your email with great interest, and congratulate you on your
perseverence and creativity in solving you VPN problem.  However, something
occurred to me that you might want to consider.

I don't know a whole lot about Virtual PC, but if it really behaves as a
stand-alone PC which co-exists on the same LAN as the Host PC (in this case
the Mac), it should be entirely possible to set up a simple network route
which routes TCP/IP traffic between the VPN endpoint (at the virtual PC
side) over to the host Mac.  This would allow you to run Apple's X server
instead of using Cygwin/X.  I'm willing to bet that VPN<->VirtualPC(virtual
route)<->Max X-server is going to have better performance than
VPN<->VirtualPC(Cygwin/X).

I think WinME and WinXP have routing built-in (called Internet Connection
Sharing, or ICS).  Other flavors of Windows can be setup to route using
3rd-party freeware.

>From: Dr Robert Young <rcyoung_ta_aliconsultants_tod_com>
>To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>Subject: Mac OS/X, Virtual PC 6, Oracle, and Cygwin/X - a tale
>Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:49:58 -0400
>
>Well it is possible to get cygwin/X running on Virtual PC 6.1.1
>under Mac OS/X 10.3. There are some  tricks (simply to make it work,
>and to preserve your sanity......all Windows OSs are NOT created
>equal), so please  bear with me while I provide some "color"
to my
>tale.....
>
>Now, you may ask why anyone would want to get this combo working on
>a Macintosh Powerbook G4 running OS/X 10.3.5? You can get X windows
>for OS/X directly.
>
>However, the world is populated by Windows machines, and as a
>database consultant, I have to access a multitude of client sites
>"remotely" since travel is not an option for a myriad of
reasons.
>That means you enter the world of VPNs, which are in heavy use
>today, and getting more common by the minute. And the world of VPNs
>is dominated by Windows software ( NOT the VPN that you  get
>w/Windows direct from Microsoft, but the proprietary ones like
>Contivity, Cisco, Avaya, etc). Further VPN's do not "like" to
be
>installed on the same machine as other VPN's ( these things do not
>"play well" together), so if you are working with 3-4-5
customers
>and all the associated VPN software is from different vendors...well
>you can see the problem even if you don't toss in the point that I
>wanted to use my Mac that I had already paid for with hard earned,
>cold, unadulterated CASH.
>
>That was my original motivation for getting Virtual PC...so one
>could use the Windows VPN software to access the client sites, by
>defining "multiple" virtual PCs each with their own software
>installed for a specific customer, and do it all from (1)
>laptop..... AND IT WORKS!
>
>The next issue came from Oracle Corporation ( remember I make a
>living as a database consultant). On Unix (Sun, HP, AIX, Linux) the
>Oracle installer is the "Universal Installer"...ie it is  a
java
>based & X-based. Character based telnet installs are not a real
>option anymore, much to the telecommuter's regret.
>
>That means I needed to come up with a means of running remote
>X-apps, through the client's VPN under Windows, but (in my case
>solely as a matter of personal preference) on a Macintosh OS/X
>system. There is now a version of Virtual PC for Windows letting you
>define multiple Win OS's on the same Intel platform ( I do, in fact,
>  have an older Compaq laptop ), but that means I have to by a newer
>Intel based laptop with more disk & memory & the Win Virtual PC
>software, and I didn't want to spend the $$$ there.
>
>Enough of the "tedious" background...but you do now have a
good feel
>for the situation....
>

>I looked at several commercial Windows X servers (since I had to use
>Windows based VPNs) , and all would run under Virtual PC but in true
>Murphy's form, each had its own "problem" with the Oracle
Universal