X11 becomes unresponsive. VERY unresponsive.

Charles E. Cooper cec112@psu.edu
Tue Sep 7 13:40:00 GMT 2004

I've been having similar problems.
I have not rebuilt my cygwin in quite a while and haven't had these
problems before.
any chance there's a conflict with some new patch in  Windows 2000?

I had not seen these performance problems previously, just the last few weeks.
My CPU pegs at 100% during cygwin usage, typically with starting up new
windows.
It is close to unusable at times.

Chuck

At 10:12 AM 9/6/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, David Arnstein wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a problem with cygwin-x11 on my home machine, which runs
> > Windows 2000 s.p. 4.
> >
> > All X11 windows become unresponsive.  Really unresponsive. The windows
> > don't repaint when exposed.  Right mouse button (context) menus do not
> > pop up.
> >
> > Earlier today, I reinstalled ALL of my cygwin packages, it did not help.
> >
> > Just now, I started X11 and I had one xterm running bash.  X11 was
> > working OK, as far as I could tell.  I left the computer for 10
> > minutes; so it was completely idle.  When I returned, X11 was in the
> > unresponsive state.
> >
> > How can I debug this problem?  I close this e-mail with the contents
> > of my /tmp/XWin.log file.  Is there anything else I can provide?
> > Thanks for any suggestions!
>
>There are some reasons for poor Cygwin/X performance in the FAQ. One
>of them is a small program from ATI.
>
>What about CPU usage? Is XWin taking 100% and nothing happens? Or is
>it nearly idle?
>
>bye
>         ago
>--