cygwin/x and zonealarm firewall

BJ Garman bj_garman@hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 05:13:00 GMT 2004

I saw on the website that some users had problems getting cygwin/x to run
properly with ZoneAlarm firewall by zonelabs to work. I myself played around
with it and found that it can be made to work easily by setting a few simple
things within your zonealarm firewall. Cygwin/x must be able to act as a
server and must be able to use its default ip addressing. Cygwin/x uses
xterm.exe and xwin.exe in order to establish the x-windows server as far as
I can tell. Anytime a program tries to access a network, the internet, or
act like a server, zonealarm registers that as trying to access the
internet, and zonealarm has a whole section of its program that deals with
which programs are trying to access the internet. Once a program tries to
access the internet, zonealarm makes a entry in a list. This list can be
viewed easily through zonealarm. Red colored"X"'s represent programs are are
blocked to internet access. Green check-marks are programs that are allowed.
Question marks are programs that, if trying to access the internet, will
cause a dialogue box to pop up asking you as a user to allow or deny this
program access to the internet. ZoneAlarm can be set up to notify you any
time a new program tries to access the internet. Once you know which program
it is, you can go into the zonealarm program list, find the program, click
and hold where question marks, checks, or x's are to change it, and then
change it to whatever you want. Usually there are 2 categories to set for
each program, access and server. For cygwin/x, the server category can
remain blocked. The access category, which has two parts, trusted and
internet, must both be set to allow(green check-mark). Afterwards, each
program that accesses cygwin/x in order to display must also be allowed. I
have mine set up to ask when a program it doesn't know about tries to access
the internet. If it happens right after I have tries starting an cygwin/x
program, then I know that program is causing the dialogue box from
zonealarm. I click on allow, then later go into the zonealarm program list
and permanently allow that program access. Then zonealarm will not ask me
again about it. As long as you do this, you can run both cygwin/x programs
and zonealarm concurrently.
I hope this information is useful to someone.
Sincerely,
Benjamin Garman