cygwin/x and zonealarm firewall

Arturus Magi sailorleo@hotpop.com
Sat Sep 11 03:32:00 GMT 2004

BJ Garman wrote:
> I saw on the website that some users had problems getting cygwin/x to
> run properly with ZoneAlarm firewall by zonelabs to work. I myself
> played around with it and found that it can be made to work easily by
> setting a few simple things within your zonealarm firewall. Cygwin/x
> must be able to act as a server and must be able to use its default ip
> addressing.

It's not that simple.  ZoneAlarm implements it's security by replacing
the Winsock with it's own code.  In some cases this irreparably breaks
programs that depend on the Winsock, like Cygwin/X.

ZoneAlarm 4.5 works fine, but ZoneAlarm 5 doesn't, as far as being able
to run X.  Other programs work with ZA 5 but not 4.5.  Some simply don't
work with either.